Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet's Fastest Privacy-First DNS Resolver by CloudFlare

Donated Member UkCvs Senior Member
    Thanks

Default Internet's Fastest Privacy-First DNS Resolver by CloudFlare

Code:
    https://1.1.1.1/

DNS: Internetís Directory

Nearly everything on the Internet starts with a DNS request. DNS is the Internetís directory. Click on a link, open an app, send an email and the first thing your device does is ask the directory: Where can I find this?

Unfortunately, by default, DNS is usually slow and insecure. Your ISP, and anyone else listening in on the Internet, can see every site you visit and every app you use ó even if their content is encrypted. Creepily, some DNS providers sell data about your Internet activity or use it target you with ads.

We think thatís gross. If you do too, now thereís an alternative: 1.1.1.1

Privacy First: Guaranteed.
    We will never sell your data or use it to target ads. Period.

We will never log your IP address (the way other companies identify you). And weíre not just saying that. Weíve retained KPMG to audit our systems annually to ensure that we're doing what we say.

Frankly, we donít want to know what you do on the Internetóitís none of our businessóand weíve taken the technical steps to ensure we canít

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deejay For This Useful Post:

lincsat (03-04-2018),PaphosAL (02-04-2018),Satsearching (02-04-2018)

A helpful but often grumpy Old Git Team-UkCvs Senior Member PaphosAL's Avatar
    a park bench, shop doorway or bus shelter near you
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 994 Posts

Thoughts please, SS and Renny?

I've been on 8.8.8.8 for years (as recommended by SS). But this is a google dns server, so I'm beginning to wonder...

Thanks for your input, deejay!

AL
    Last edited by PaphosAL; 02-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    "I read an article the other day that says I need to get out and walk more, stop drinking and quit smoking... So I've given up READING!"

Developer UkCvs Senior Member
    Thanks

I've been using Google as well but have added this as my 1st choice now. I'm more interested in speed and availability than privacy - I use GMail, so don't expect too much privacy

Admin Team-UkCvs Senior Member Satsearching's Avatar
    Thanks

AL

I'm same as lincsat, I'm not to bothered about privacy, more interested in speed of updates (virmin and talktalk can be very slow with updating records).

However, will read up on this new DNS, it sounds interesting.

When I do want privacy, I use PIA, purely for the occasional torrent or Kodi stuff, and that is all, hard wired through a separate router running the vpn client stuff and a simple "2 button switch" next to my main PC to manually select which router to use via Ethernet hard wiring.

Also separate wifi networks with mac address filters to force kodi type devices to only go through the "vpn router".

Works well, but will deffo read into this new DNS.

SS
    Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, use at your own risk !!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Satsearching For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (03-04-2018)

Thanks

A question for deejay, please. As well as the 1.1.1.1 Primary DNS you recommend, do CloudFlare also have a Secondary DNS option that you know of, m8?

Thanks- AL
    "I read an article the other day that says I need to get out and walk more, stop drinking and quit smoking... So I've given up READING!"

Donated Member UkCvs Senior Member
    Thanks

For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
    For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deejay For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (05-04-2018)

Thanks

I now have the CF as main, Google as secondary and the ISP's DNS as the tertiary - don't want to miss anything

R.I.P Al, sorely missed Team-UkCvs Senior Member Renwich's Avatar
    Thanks

I've changed to

main 1.1.1.1
    secondary 8.8.8.8
    tertiary 8.8.4.4

Thanks

It took a VM engineer visit yesterday teatime to discover that they had sent me an old refurb white Hub3 from the wrong area, ffs... It's why India could see it as activated, but not locking into their network, doh!

He changed it for a guaranteed brand new black one out of his van, and after 40 mins, had it all up and running niceley. I left it like that for 2 hrs, then went for the jugular- modem only mode. Bingo! Worth noting that in this mode, you get a single purple LED on the front panel, rather than white...

Changed my DNS to 1.1.1.1 Primary, and 1.0.0.1 Secondary on my Netgear 3500L WiFi Router, and FF page loads are definately visibly faster! BTW, WTF is Tertiary DNS may I ask? Is that an IPV6 thing?

Cheers- AL
    Last edited by PaphosAL; 07-04-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks

Do you not have 3 DNS available on the Netgear?

Thread Information