Thread: ESXI and Passthrough for USB PCTV Tuner 292e

Admin Team-UkCvs Senior Member Satsearching's Avatar
    Thanks

Default ESXI and Passthrough for USB PCTV Tuner 292e

I use ESXI, this allows several virtual servers to run under a single physical box, it is free at the level I use, and it is brilliant!

If you want to use ESXI, you need to ensure your server box is fully compatible, I made a point of buying an Intel Mobo that is supported and an I5 processor that supports VT-D, else you may struggle with pass through.

Posting this to hopefully help others as it took me 4 days to get this working and the solution was so simple once I found it.

Because ESXI allows several virtual machines to run under one physical machine, interfaces such as USB don't fully get directly connected to a virtual machine, ESXI allows "Passthrough" so you can fully pass a device through direct to a certain virtual box.

The usual way for a USB device (such as the PCTV Triplestick 292e) to be passed through is simply to add USB CONTROLLER and then USB DEVICE and select the tuner that shows up to the TVHeadend virtual box, but although the tuner shows up in TVHeadend, when trying a scan it totally freezes TVHeadend as it cannot fully talk to it.

The trick to fully pass through the USB stick is to fully pass through the USB controller's PCI interface!

So first, you need to work out which USB controller the stick is plugged into, in my case it was controller #2

So under the physical server settings, select CONFIGURATION then ADVANCED SETTINGS, then EDIT.

As below, I ticked the USB controller #2 (note my PCI satellite tuner is also selected here) once selected, you have to reboot the physical box. This now will make the USB #2 controller available for pass through, as below picture.

make passthrough available.jpg

Next, select the virtual box you want to pass through to and select EDIT VIRTUAL MACHINE SETTINGS.

Here you can add hardware so select ADD, however do NOT select a USB controller or a USB device, instead select PCI device.

And select the PCI device that is actually the USB controller as below picture.

forward device.jpg

Note you again can see I have also added my PCI satellite card.

Once done, boot up your virtual TVHeadend box and scanning on your USB tuner should now work fine.

SS
    Last edited by Satsearching; 05-11-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: more info and typo's fixed

Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, use at your own risk !! NO TO SKY AND F1 RIPOFF, ALL 2018 F1 RACES ARE FREE ON RTL HD, JUST TUNE TO 12.188H AT 19.2'E, USE 5 LIVE ONLINE FOR AUDIO!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Satsearching For This Useful Post:

Bobsylas (30-10-2017),LraiZer (30-10-2017),PaphosAL (31-10-2017),Renwich (30-10-2017)

Admin Team-UkCvs Senior Member Satsearching's Avatar
    Thanks

Thought I would push my luck and re-visit ESXI V6 (was using V5.5)

I tried this a while ago and had various problems with V6 so dropped back to V5.5.

However, after a clean install of ESXI V6.5 today and taking updates to latest build no 6765664, it works like a dream.

The method of passthrough is very similar, just need to "Toggle" the PCI devices for passthrough on the main host, then add the PCI device on the actual VM.

SS

Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, use at your own risk !! NO TO SKY AND F1 RIPOFF, ALL 2018 F1 RACES ARE FREE ON RTL HD, JUST TUNE TO 12.188H AT 19.2'E, USE 5 LIVE ONLINE FOR AUDIO!

Thread Information