Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Box

Admin Team-UkCvs Senior Member Satsearching's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Box

I have a couple of fire TV sticks here that work well, but seem to struggle a bit with latest Kodi.

I am toying with buying a new box so looking for suggestions.

Requirements are.

1. Android based with official Google Play store.

2. Able to run Kodi fast

3. Able to run STB emulator fast.

Spent ages googling but going around in circles, so any suggestions please?

Cheers
    SS
    Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, use at your own risk !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Satsearching For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (11-06-2017)

A helpful but often grumpy Old Git Team-UkCvs Senior Member PaphosAL's Avatar
    a park bench, shop doorway or bus shelter near you
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 994 Posts

MAX 25X Android seems to be the favoured choice for all UKTV among the Brits ex-pat community in Paphos area of Cyprus, SS!

Cheers- AL
    "I read an article the other day that says I need to get out and walk more, stop drinking and quit smoking... So I've given up READING!"

Donated Member UkCvs Senior Member
    Thanks

i've got a nvidia shield, not using to full potential yet. but there are plenty of chinese android boxes aswell

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deejay For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (12-06-2017),Satsearching (11-06-2017)

A helpful but often grumpy Old Git Team-UkCvs Senior Member PaphosAL's Avatar
    a park bench, shop doorway or bus shelter near you
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 994 Posts

I reckon we need a mini IPTV Tute from some kind-hearted member(s) suggesting which hdmi Android hardware device is currently 'best buy' and which softz is best to load and test?

As this old Git is utterly baffled and bewildered by the whole notion of IPTV...

Cheers- AL
    "I read an article the other day that says I need to get out and walk more, stop drinking and quit smoking... So I've given up READING!"

Thanks

I want something powerful that will last, it seems the new breed of boxes coming out are based on the RK3399 chip, some of the early boxes are having firmware issues, stuttering youtube etc.

These newer boxes (Yundoo Y8, H96 MAX, R-TV K99) are going for around 120 (4gb RAM) and staggering benchmark results compared to the older Amlogic boxes.

For a few quid more, I am leaning towards the Nvidia Shield now as even the new boxes cannot get near to the Shield benchmark tests, also it's not like Nvidia will disappear over night so support should be good for some time and it already comes with Android 7 Nougat.

So how are you getting on with your Nvidia Shield so far? Is it worth the extra cash?

SS

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    i've got a nvidia shield, not using to full potential yet. but there are plenty of chinese android boxes aswell
    Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, use at your own risk !!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Satsearching For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (13-06-2017)

Thanks

AL

If you want to dabble, it is worth considering a Fire TV box (I wouldn't bother with the Fire TV stick as 1gb of ram seems to be not enough for KODI since V17) I have 2 sticks and swore by them but KODI 17 seems to be a bit more resource hungry now.

The fire TV box has 2gb of ram, can be bought from Argos and sideloading KODI is simple, also a handy thing to use with normal free apps such as Iplayer, ITV hub and channel 4 catchup, the later 2 are missing from my new office LG smart TV.

There are a few other good apps available such as UKTV Play, BBC news etc, a list in the link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=6801485031

Despite having 3 smart TV's here (2x Samsung and 1x LG) I don't think I would bother again with a smart TV, various issues with poor app support, Filmon has stopped working on both Samsung TV's and the Sky News app has never worked, it thinks I am in a country that shouldn't have access! LG doesn't do ITV hub or ch4 catchup on the LG model I have, but the fire TV can do all that along with KODI.

SS
    Last edited by Satsearching; 12-06-2017 at 06:26 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Satsearching For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (13-06-2017)

Thanks

hardly use much these days had put kodi on it when i first bought , also plex. one of the reasons i bought was so kids could play android games on the tv. but play store is limited as not alot of apps have tv version.
    was meant to look at sideloading or get different app store but not got round to it yet

R.I.P Al, sorely missed Team-UkCvs Senior Member Renwich's Avatar
    Thanks

I swear by my Wetek boxes, they have native android with full play store support, they have a modular inbuilt tuner support until recently I had sat tuners in both, but just bought a cable tuner, you can boot them from an SD card if you dont want android I use Libreelec which has been fantastic and very easy to setup the tuners for live TV (free and encrypted) and of course all the usual kodi addons are there, another bonus is that it has 4k support so when I upgrade my tv I should be able to make use of that.

the boxes themselves are very resonably priced for such a versitile box

other pluses can be used as a PVR, Media library, with usb storagem gigabit nic, SD card slot, can use other remotes, tvheadend for network tuner ( I have a couple of Raspberry pi's in other rooms where I have no cable or sat feed)

only downside is that any hardware support is a bit slow as Wetek are based in Portugal

Ren

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renwich For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (14-06-2017),Satsearching (15-06-2017)

Thanks

how did you get on with setting up cable, i know epg had issues as well as channels in random order

15. The Following User Says Thank You to deejay For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (15-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Renwich View Post
    I swear by my Wetek boxes
    Hmmm, may wait for a bit to see what the spec of the Play 2S is like, it should be released soon but they are a bit secretive about it.

SS

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Satsearching For This Useful Post:

PaphosAL (15-06-2017)

Thread Information