Thread: learn programming

Donated Member UkCvs Senior Member
    Thanks

Default learn programming

i want to learn shell script should i first learn basic linux or jump straight at learning shell script

Admin Team-UkCvs Senior Member Satsearching's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say, jump straight in!

Have a google for sites like this to learn basic commands --> http://linuxcommand.org/writing_shell_scripts.php

You can test scripts on your dreambox, box, but it may help to have a Vmware box with Ubuntu on to play with.

What are you aiming to do? I am sure others here can help and some others may find it fun learning with you.

A good editor helps, but notepad++ is free.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    i want to learn shell script should i first learn basic linux or jump straight at learning shell script

Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, use at your own risk !! NO TO SKY AND F1 RIPOFF, ALL 2018 F1 RACES ARE FREE ON RTL HD, JUST TUNE TO 12.188H AT 19.2'E, USE 5 LIVE ONLINE FOR AUDIO!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Satsearching For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (15-03-2014)

Thanks

i got few spare hours each week instead of watching tv thought i would learn something, lraizer said autobouquets for cable is written in shell. would love to understand the script then see what happens from there. what would be a good editor

A helpful but often grumpy Old Git Team-UkCvs Senior Member PaphosAL's Avatar
    a park bench, shop doorway or bus shelter near you
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 994 Posts

As SS already stated above, Notepad++ is FREEWARE and is certainly my right hand man for assisting Renwich and LraiZer with ongoing Commando development

Another vital tool is a decent FTP program. I use a licensed and supported version of FlashFXP and this is deployed roughly 90% of my daily dev time, with NP++ called as it's inside text editor. But you can probably train Filezilla (also FREEWARE) FTP Client to handle file associations as you want, in order to launch the correct program.

As for scripting, why not try and get your head around /var/bin/miniops which is the heart and engine of Commando? It started out as a blank sheet of paper some 6 years ago (dBox2 days) and has evolved since. Loads of bash scripting in there from LraiZer and TC to fathom, not to mention debug, LOL!

The miniops you currently see in C15.0b is different to the slightly larger version that TC are currently destructive-testing for the C15.0c online update, don't worry! You'll see that miniops is actually an 'Aladdins Cave' of around four dozen different (and sometimes interlinked) scripts, all called by the OS. Study...

Cheers- AL
    "I read an article the other day that says I need to get out and walk more, stop drinking and quit smoking... So I've given up READING!"

Thanks

i got myself a copy of ultraedit now hopefully start saturday to much overtime at work at the minute but will try and get 2 hours saturday

A helpful but often grumpy Old Git Team-UkCvs Senior Member PaphosAL's Avatar
    a park bench, shop doorway or bus shelter near you
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 994 Posts

Crikey! If you can get ash scripting all sussed inside two hours, then please do a tutorial, m8!

Cheers- AL
    "I read an article the other day that says I need to get out and walk more, stop drinking and quit smoking... So I've given up READING!"

Thanks

As a beginner, I was collecting resources for learning Bash programming and I found this post.
    There are a lot of tutorials out there. However, I found this one helpful.
    Thanks!

Thread Information